A number of major brands have more than 30 percent of their online search hits coming from mobile devices. This means that effective mobile SEO is more important than ever. As you design mobile content, keep the following 10 tips in mind.
1. Optimize for short tail queries. Mobile searchers use short tail phrases instead of long tail keywords. Optimize your descriptions and meta titles accordingly.
2. Adopt a social first, mobile second mentality. Above all else, mobile users want to be entertained and connected to family and friends.
3. Know where the user agent is headed. The user agent should go to the same version of the website for both searches and search engine bots.
4. Streamline navigation. Make it easy for users to focus on the most important and/or most popular pages for a site.
5. Develop to scale. Instead of simply scaling down the desktop website design, which is rarely effective, develop a mobile version with a sub-domain that starts with “m.yourdomain.com.”
6. Link to the main desktop site. Sometimes people get frustrated because they are limited to using the mobile features on their mobile devices. Include a prominent link to the main desktop site from the mobile site.
7. Include a click-to-call link. Make it simple for your customers to call you right from the mobile site with a click-to-call link embedded in every page.
8. Use rich content in moderation. Most mobile devices have trouble loading large image and video files.
9. Keep app intent in mind. Why are mobile users on your site? Tailor your app content accordingly.
10. Embrace search engine crawlers. Search engine mobile content crawlers should go to the same mobile site as mobile users. You don’t want to have duplicate contact that could compromise your search engine ranking.